"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Action-Figure Tribute

Artist Robert Burden has created a series of large paintings honoring and incorporating the action figures he played with as a child, which he features in an exhibit called Toybox displayed at the Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle (click image). From Wired.com:

To rekindle that glamorous spirit, Burden created large canvases depicting his toys within beautiful shrines. "Maybe these paintings are a personal way for me to get back all of the naive and unabashed idealisms that I held as a kid," he says. "But aside from all of my conceptual reasons for making this work, part of me just wanted to see a really big Battle Cat painting..."
I played with various action figures all throughout my childhood and I really would consider some of them works of art in and of themselves. And I do love the way these paintings impart the dignity of a commissioned homage onto everyday objects; a sort of modern-day Medici for the masses. Plus it would be pretty cool to see a really big Battle Cat painting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that guy's works are awesome...