"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Thursday, April 10, 2008

McLoathing, With A Side Of Discrimination

Via Dispatches From the Culture War we get this reaction from a couple of open-minded Christians to the McDonald's corporation having an executive on the board of a gay business group:

My son and I often stop by McDonald's for a bite to eat after homeschool bowling on Fridays. But not today...

Not today, in light of reports that McDonald's has decided, apparently, to declare war on my family. And to declare war on the civilization of liberty, independence, creativity, and humanity under God that my Dad fought for in World War II.

The rest of the post is worth reading merely for it's sheer comedic value. I know that when I hear tell of a responsibly cohesive and loving gay family unit that I can't help but feel that the future heterosexually-based family I expect to one day head is directly threatened by their high levels of fascist gayosity, combined with a subtle hint of Nazi cocksuckery.

Now I am by no means a defender of the McDonald's corporation; I hate their food (breakfasts aside) and I hold them at least tacitly responsible for the unfavorable body image the US population represents to the rest of the world. Still, I applaud their progressive outreach to the gay community despite the damage it might cause to their well-cultivated image amongst their core blue-collar and urban demographics. In short, when it comes down to politics vs. profits, I'm lovin' it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, sir, are a blasphemer! How DARE you speak ill of McDonald's in my presence. Their booths may be uncomfortable, and their playgrounds lamer, but that sweet, sweet double cheeseburger and fries is every bit as divine as it was when I was 5.

JBW said...

I can't help it; I've never liked their burgers and I really like burgers. The fries however are bomb, and I'll go to my greasy grave saying just that.

Unknown said...

How old fashioned! Or maybe a bit of MCP just slipped out, which frankly surprises me. "...family (you) expect to head..."? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Their fries are good, but I like BK burgers. Broiled, you know, not fried.....?

JBW said...

I probably should have included the word "perhaps" there but it blunted my point a bit.