"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Old Winery, New Idea

Oxford Landing is a winery based in southern Australia which has come up with a unique marketing idea. Now the wine snob in me has frequently expressed my displeasure (ie. talked some serious shit) about nontraditional changes to the industry such as synthetic corks and screw caps but I think that this idea seems quite useful and innovative.

Using the tags at the bottom of college campus fliers as inspiration, they've added this perforated flap to the back label of their bottles containing all of the pertinent information you would want to remember if you had enjoyed the bottle at a friend's house or out at a restaurant but were a bit too buzzed by the end to remember it all. Smart. And yes, I'm asking myself why I didn't think of this too.

[Update: A bit of sniffing around the blogosphere reveals that many Australian wine labels seem to include this feature. It seems that a company by the name of Collotype Labels patented this idea, called Wine Find, in 2001 and has been printing and supplying labels to many wineries down under for years. I still think it's clever.]

No comments: