"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Monday, October 27, 2008

Under The Clouds Of War

So it seems that I am the subject, at least in part, of a post at a right-wing political blog called American Power:

I've got a new regular visitor from the leftosphere, James at Brain Rage, who apparently applauds the politics of gutter video-attacks like the one found in "Red, White and MILF."

With all due respect, that's not parody but demonization.
Apparently he's very upset about my post of a harmless song making fun of Sarah Palin's staggering lack of political competence while also celebrating her obvious physical assets; I think he's one of those "sensitive" serious guys, with all due respect.

I've stopped by his site a few times to light-heartedly spar intellectually and philosophically with some of the regulars although I don't know if they would classify our exchanges as "light-hearted"; I've already been called "sick", "lost", "sexist", "a self-described 'intellectual elitist' who is actually just a secular pseudo-intellectual who uses his thesaurus to show how smart he is", "dumb as a box of rocks", and "Jim" (that's the only one that really bugged me but to be fair that guy was agreeing with me; oh, and I don't own a thesaurus: this is just how I speak).

The site is run by a guy named Donald Douglas who posts under the name Americaneocon, an associate professor of political science at a community college in Southern California who has been dropping by my site and making the occasional comment; Don strikes me as a typical righty in the blogosphere: pretty much sold on his side's particular narrative and talking points but not an altogether despicable fellow to debate with.

So I guess he deemed my reply to his reply to my reply to his etc. to my comment on one of his posts too long to address outside of a blog post and then basically challenged me to a blog war if I so chose; I've never participated in a blog war before but they look like fun on some of the sites I read so I was considering taking him up on it when I saw that he had invoked my name in his latest post. As I said, I'm a neophyte to this type of engagement but I assume that I can consider that action his opening salvo, or at least a rhetorical declaration of war on his part.

So let this be my unequivocal reply: have at you, sir! I don't plan to focus a great deal of energy on this endeavour but hopefully it will prove to be an interesting exercise, or at least an entertaining one. I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm, Don; prepare yourself.

5 comments:

BD said...

I'm superfly TNT, I'm the guns of the Navarone!

Americaneocon said...

Blog wars are stimulating, JBW.

Although, I don't think you were the "subject" of the post, but your spin on MILF provided a nice introduction to the Democratic values theme I'm develping.

JBW said...

Obviously I wasn't the subject but being new to the blogosphere and that being the first time I've been mentioned by name in someone else's post I indulged myself, being careful to include the words "at least in part" when you replied as such.

one L bill said...

If there's ANYTHING that James is, it's sexist and intellectually elite. Unfortunately, he's also difficult to joke about behind his back because he's pop-culturally savvy as well. He frequently borders on being "sold on his side's particular narrative and talking points", but will come to a middle ground on enough topics that you can't label him outright.

As one who knows James fairly well, I typically root for his demise in a debate no matter if I agree with him or not. Good luck, Donald. It is needed.

JBW said...

One L, that entire screed is one of the most complimentary things I have ever read about myself. Truly, you make me blush, brother.