"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, May 28, 2010

Running On Empty

Imagine life without Henry Ford:


Beautifully apocalyptic:

I live in Los Angeles. I drive in Los Angeles. I think about traffic a lot in Los Angeles. A few months ago, I discovered Matt Logue’s Empty LA photographs. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but every time I was stuck in rush hour all-hour traffic, I found myself thinking, “What if tomorrow everyone’s car disappeared.”
One of my favorite comedians does a bit about what it was like to live in New York City right after 9/11 and how surreal it was to see streets normally bustling with people and traffic 24 hours a day suddenly standing completely empty. I found the movie I Am Legend to be similarly surreal (and the hyper-charged, meth-head zombies only contributed to this feeling).

(via)

5 comments:

Kevin Robbins said...

JBW, I didn't see Legend, but it reminded me of Omega Man only without the mutant vampires. Chuck Heston made some great B-movies for being such a knucklehead.

Kevin Robbins said...

My bad, was Legend a re-make of Omega Man?

Anonymous said...

The Omega Man is based on Matheson's 'I Am Legend'. The Will Smith vehicle is as well, though both stories differ from the original novel.

I read the book about a year ago. It was a short, but good read. If you're interested, there was also a script written in the 90s (meant to star Schwarzenegger, I hear) that's posted for free on the web. I actually started here.

Kevin Robbins said...

Thanks, one L!

And good Memorial Day weekend to all the Brain Ragers here.

JBW said...

one L and I have discussed the various incarnations of I Am Legand before so I knew he was the man to handle that question, and right back atcha, ex DLB.