"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, July 4, 2008

Believe Me, It's Torture

Writer Christopher Hitchens undergoes the insidious process of waterboarding to write this article for Vanity Fair (video here and yes, that's the actual music they used; oddly unsettling). It shames me as an American to have to admit that we torture those unfortunate souls, guilty and innocent, who are swept up in the net of our "war on terror" but unfortunately this is now de rigeur for this country under the Bush regime. I can remember a time not to distant when I felt unwavering pride when thinking about my country; the current government has long since cured myself and many others of that nationalistic certainty however. Incidentally, Hitchens lasted for 17 seconds, although I'm sure it felt like much longer; one can only assume that all torture does. Happy 4th of July.

No comments: