"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ferraro Special Comment

I know I said in my last post that I was done for the night but I had to put this up when I saw it; I think I'm becoming an addict. If you haven't been keeping up with the Democratic primary candidate back and forth this week, surrogates from both the Obama and Clinton campaigns said some inappropriate things about the competition and each subsequently resigned after issuing apologies.

Trying to be as objective as I can, I truly feel that the remarks and the history of such remarks by Geraldine Ferraro were much more egregious than those by Samantha Power. I also think that the Obama camp handled the matter as quickly and responsibly as possible. Clinton has yet to condemn Ferraro's comments and there are no indications that she will any time soon.

It seems to me that these incidents and each campaign's respective reactions to them are accurately foreshadowing what will make up the rest of this primary season: an even-handed, reasonable, conciliatory approach to politics versus no-holds barred, opportunistic, Rovian politics as usual. I was watching a recording of Countdown with Keith Olbermann earlier tonight and caught his Special Comment at the end of the show. He breaks the situation down for us with an earnest plea to Senator Clinton:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I've never heard this guy speak before.... But, all I can say is, "Right-on!"

JBW said...

I catch his show every weeknight. He's done about a couple dozen of these special comments over the past few years. You can probably find them all on MSNBC.com.