"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Thursday, March 6, 2008

McCain And Hagee

As some of you may have heard, John McCain recently pursued and secured the endorsement of Texas evangelical leader John Hagee. The video below by Talking Points Memo will give you some idea of what kind of a person this guy is:

Now I'm not posting this because I like Bill Donohue or anything like that; lord knows (written with all intended irony) that I find him and his religious views to be as daffy as most others. I just wanted to make a comment about the latest meme that the media have been taking it easier on Obama than they have the other candidates. I can't read or watch the news without hearing about his "association" with Louis Farrakhan.

As I stated in a previous post, Obama has repeatedly repudiated the minister and his anti-semitic views and has no personal affiliation with him whatsoever. Can you imagine the media outcry if instead Obama talked about how he doesn't agree with everything Farrakhan says but that he was happy to receive his endorsement anyway? He would immediately be labeled a Muslim fanatic (as he already has been in many right wing circles) and all chances of gaining the presidency would be lost to him while St. McCain gets a free pass from the media (I promised myself I wouldn't use any of the ubiquitous net-based monikers for the candidates on this blog but the inclusion of Catholicism in this case almost warrants it). Well what do you expect? That's the liberal media for you.

No comments: