"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Something Someone Else Said II

"I do not know if he has a hatred for white people. I can say that his statements and his appointment of someone I do believe to be a racist, "Sonia Mayer," for her racial views by the way -- that is an indication, that could be used as an indication by some, that he is indeed a racist. " -former Republican Representative Tom Tancredo, speaking about President Barack Obama.

Who the hell is Sonia Mayer? Do you think she's related to Supreme Court nominee Judge Sotomayor?

2 comments:

magpie said...

I've said this before...
The worldview of the unreasoning Right is that there is a constant struggle between themselves and evil. It's a psychology of adversarial categories wherein they are always the hero-victim. And they never doubt their own "goodness".

So they don't understand "racism", in an objective sense, as being a lack of tolerance or empathy that potentially anyone can stoop to, in an unconsidered moment.
All badness in the world is externalized. Badness is something only other people do. It's incredibly childish.

Ergo... if a person is not white and does not share their views, then they are racist, because their opposition - they feel - just has to be attributable to the most visible difference between that person and themselves.

And "I do not know if he has a hatred for white people" actually means "I WANT to assert that he has a hatred for white people".

"I do not know" that Tancredo is a purple people-eater from Mars... so why would I say "I do not know that Tancredo is a purple people-eater from Mars" ?
I wouldn't. Simple as that.

JBW said...

I think you've got their number, quietmagpie. I know it shouldn't, but the complete lack of introspection and self-awareness by so many always floors me.