"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, August 7, 2009

RIP, John Hughes

John Hughes, writer and director of some of the greatest teen high school movies from the 1980's died yesterday of a heart attack whilst out for a walk in New York City. He was 59. When I was a kid I watched Sixteen Candles ("Can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes?"), Weird Science ("Wyatt, your kitchen is blue!"), The Breakfast Club ("Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?") and Ferris Bueller's Day Off ("You killed the car.") more times than I could ever hope to count. He made other hits like Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Home Alone but the flicks set in the fictional town of Shermer, Illinois were always my favorites. Jay and Silent Bob know exactly what I'm talking about (please excuse the audio/video sync):

1 comment:

shansmith said...

So sad! 59 is young! I love all those 80's movies so much!!