"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Spray-On Glass To Revolutionize The World

The future is here and it has super-thin glass sprayed all over it:

(PhysOrg.com) -- Spray-on liquid glass is transparent, non-toxic, and can protect virtually any surface against almost any damage from hazards such as water, UV radiation, dirt, heat, and bacterial infections. The coating is also flexible and breathable, which makes it suitable for use on an enormous array of products

The liquid glass spray (technically termed “SiO2 ultra-thin layering”) consists of almost pure (, the normal compound in glass) extracted from quartz sand. Water or ethanol is added, depending on the type of surface to be coated. There are no additives, and the nano-scale glass coating bonds to the surface because of the quantum forces involved. According to the manufacturers, liquid glass has a long-lasting antibacterial effect because microbes landing on the surface cannot divide or replicate easily...

The liquid glass spray produces a water-resistant coating only around 100 nanometers (15-30 molecules) thick. On this the glass is highly flexible and breathable. The coating is environmentally harmless and non-toxic, and easy to clean using only water or a simple wipe with a damp cloth. It repels bacteria, water and dirt, and resists heat, and even acids. UK project manager with Nanopool, Neil McClelland, said soon almost every product you purchase will be coated with liquid glass.

Finally. The cell phones have been getting pretty cool lately and I love that space tourism still seems like a viable industry but truth be told I was starting to doubt whether I'd get to see some of these super-science technologies I've been reading about in science-fiction for decades. Now bring on the flying cars and robotic mistresses.

(via)

4 comments:

Steven said...

I love stuff like this! Please let it be true...I want some right now. Nanotechnology is where we should be concentrating all of our research dollars these days. Can you imagine a highway coated with carbon nanotubes? It would never wear out as it could repair itself. I love it! I'm excited!

JBW said...

I'm still holding out for a space elevator myself, Steven. Glad you dug the post.

Beekeepers Apprentice said...

Space elevators, Shpache Elevators. I'm waiting for a transporter. Energize!

JBW said...

If you find a way to increase computer power by that much BA you can keep your transporter because I'll never leave my holodeck again.