"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yakuza And Baseball: I'm So Japanese!

No time for blogging today, I have to attend my book club meeting and then it's straight home to prepare for my baseball fantasy league auction draft later tonight (yes, I know that I've called baseball boring as hell in the past but what the hell else am I going to do until football season?). Since it was my turn to pick for the club last time I chose Jake Adelstein's "Tokyo Vice", a tell all about his time as a Jewish American working for a Japanese newspaper and taking on some of the most dangerous characters of the Tokyo underground. Learning about the danger and betrayal of certain Yakuza was very interesting and it provided a fascinating glimpse into many aspects of Japanese culture I wasn't familiar with; you can watch his interview on The Daily Show here. Hopefully I'll have time to write a bit more tomorrow. Sayonara, ya'll.

2 comments:

magpie said...

I've read about Adelstein's book (in The Japan Times) and I'm very interested in getting a hold of it.
Apparently he suffers from minor nervous disorders, like insomnia, as I recall.

JBW said...

With the Yakuza forever after his white ass, I don't doubt it, magpie. It was a good read that I'd recommend.