"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson, the undisputed King of Pop, died yesterday at the age of 50. Thriller was the very first album (cassette tape) I ever bought when I was a kid and I completely wore that thing out listening to it so much. Just as with OJ Simpson, I've found myself torn on the subject of Jackson and his life of late. I mean, I loved the running plays and the music but the murdering and the child-molesting? Not so much. Jackson obviously had plenty of personal demons though and while they don't excuse some of his more outrageous lifestyle choices they do go a long way toward explaining them. I'm listening to Billie Jean as I write this in memoriam. Moonwalking off, stage left...

3 comments:

shannon said...

I did not know that about Thriller. My thoughts on MJ are that he did not ever have a chance to be normal. His childhood was completely robbed from him and he never recovered. He also had to witness some horrific things with Tito, Jermaine, etc. being older and around him all the time. I will remember him for his wonderful hit songs and hopefully his kids have a better chance now for a more normal life. I read a commment from Lisa Marie saying that he told her many years ago that he thought he would die young and similar to Elvis. Weird. I have been moonwalking it up in Texas. Love you and miss you! I am writing this from mom's sweet new flat screen computer monitor!

JBW said...

Miss you guys too, sis. And glad to hear that Mom finally got that dishwasher-sized clunker off her desk.

one L bill said...

I guess it's telling what one really thinks about another once they die. I find myself looking back at him as a misunderstood guy who (hopefully) really did just want to create better childhoods for kids than the crap he went through.

I guess we'll never really know, but it's been interesting to see how I've reacted.