"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama Chooses Biden As VP

I just got the text from the Obama campaign a few minutes ago: Barack Obama has chosen Joe Biden, Senator from Delaware, as his Vice-Presidential nominee and running mate. Biden is the man I was hoping Obama would tap for the job; he has done several stints as the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, just recently going to Georgia at the behest of it's president because of their recent troubles with Russia. He has major blue-collar appeal, coming up from a scrappy childhood in Scranton, Ohio and is a life-long Catholic, a group Obama has traditionally scored poorly with in the polls.

He's smart, tough, knows foreign policy like few others and has over three and a half decades of experience in Washington. More to the point, he knows John McCain and his record in the Senate, something that will help the Obama team in the heat of the general election battle. I think Obama has made an excellent choice here and definitely increased his chances of winning the presidency in November. OK, I'm now officially looking forward to the Democratic National Convention starting on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First thing I heard when we caught wind of this was, "this is great! Obama's picked the racist!" So I've done some light Googling on it. I guess he's on record as saying some nice things about Obama that could reflect poorly on other blacks? I also saw some video clip of him saying something about Indian accents in 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts.

Is there any thing else I'm missing? I'll write him a pass on those. I'm not trying to make a point here, I'm really wondering if there's more to this stuff. Of course, I probably shouldn't be asking the guy who just gave such a glowing endorsement...

JBW said...

As I've said about so many people on this blog, the guy ain't a saint and he likes to run his mouth. The things you've covered are probably the worst of it but I think those things were not said with any kind of malice or harsh intent and I think the older white people who know Biden and might vote for Obama because of him will understand this.

And actually it really doesn't matter because the Karl Rove wing of the Repyublican party is going to try to make everything these guys have ever said or done out to be a thousand times worse than it is anyway. You have heard the news about Obama being a radical Muslim who wasn't born in America and wants the terrorists to win, right?