"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Changing Weather Outside Is Frightful...

Bradford Plummer at The New Republic explains why the current cold weather does not disprove the science of global warming:

In response to all the lovely e-mails (and to preempt the inevitable George Will column): Yes, I've noticed it's bitterly cold across much of North America right now. Record lows, heavy snowfall, the works. Sadly, this doesn't prove global warming is fake. Long-term temperature trends do allow for short-term variation. A warming planet will still experience plenty of record lows...

Even though the 2000s were the hottest decade on record, there were a lot of record lows set in the United States during that time. It's just that there were even more record highs—and the ratio of highs to lows was greater than the ratio during the 1990s, which was, in turn, greater than the ratio during the 1980s, and so on. Note also that the United States is just a small patch of the globe, and while we're bracing ourselves against freakish cold, the central Pacific has been seeing freakish highs. The thing to watch is the overall trend.
But, it's cold outside. I can feel it. And didn't those hacked scientist emails settle this? They used the word "trick"; and since I'm not a scientist I know that means "lie" and hence, global warming isn't real. Plus, it's cold outside. Cold ≠ warming. Am I wrong?

(via)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, global warming won't affect me, my kids or even their kids. It might affect THEIR kids, but what do I care because I will never know them. Am I right? Can I get witness?

JBW said...

Plus when Jesus comes back all bets are off anyway so why not just use the Earth as one big toilet, right?

magpie said...

Yeah I know you guys are doing it cold and rough at the moment.

It's beautiful weather where I am... The babes are all out and they're not wearing much at all.

Of course we shit ourselves everytime we smell smoke, but in between it's pretty good.

JBW said...

Sometimes I envy you, magpie. What am I saying? You're an Aussie, I envy you pretty often actually.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what we should be more worried about... the ozone layer/global warming or all the trash/landfills. I mean, we can't keep digging new holes in the ground!

Anonymous said...

...we should start ejecting our trash into space.

JBW said...

I agree with you on the first two counts one L, but I'm afraid the cost of launching our trash into space would be prohibitive. I'd like to see some government induced free market incentives for dealing with our excess waste to spur private industry innovation but that's just me.

guitarguy81 said...

JBW,

I think there are a lot of simple initiatives that don't require all that much R&D. For example, the disposal of organic waste, as a separate processing system.

Yes, it requires funding and some man power, but the benefits far outweigh the additional cost burdens on municipalities, local, and federal.

The biggest problem, is that there isn't enough political will to see through with these projects. No one wants to take a chance and risk their political careers.

Politics at its very best folks