"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Picture Of The Day

This window view is representative of two great cultures' major contributions to the world:

Conventional photographs of the Sphinx, such as the one featured in this month’s issue of Smithsonian magazine, are taken looking west and give the impression that the figure and the three pyramids sit in a remote Egyptian desert. The reality is that urban development of Cairo and Giza have brought the cities to within easy walking distance, as one can see from a Google satellite view. This photo, taken from inside a nearby fast food location, emphasizes that reality in a dramatic fashion.
I can't decide if my love of archaeology or my love of grease is why I dig this view so much but the fact that I'll be able to combine them by enjoying a Meaty P'Zone when I visit the Giza plain someday has moved that destination up my travel list by at least three spots. Oh, and that sound you're hearing? Khufu softly weeping...

No comments: