"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, January 8, 2010

Illustrating Gravity Wells

A comment by regular reader oneLbill yesterday about shooting our collective waste into space as a (tongue in cheek, I assume) strategy for dealing with some of our environmental problems reminded me of this chart I saw last week illustrating the respective gravity wells for the major celestial bodies in our solar system. I just like the simple layout and the easy to understand way in which it explains the science (you'll have to enlarge to read it).

(via)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was meant to be humorous... though is it really such a bad idea? I mean, all the trash could clump together to create a new planet that could possibly be our escape route one day. I don't know. How could anyone EVER know.

I like the idea of leaving Deimos with a bike and a ramp. That's good stuff. If only it were so easy to look your wife in the eye, threaten to leave forever and then do it.

;)

JBW said...

You have to live with her one L, publicly contemplate planetary escape at your own risk.

I love you, sis!