"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

SmartFaucet Is Straight Out Of Star Trek

This would be like having your own little computerized butler prepare you for your day while you shave:

The SmartFaucet from iHouse has adjustable flow, an internal heating coil to provide hot water faster, and LEDs that change color based on temperature. That’s all very nice. But it also has a little camera with face recognition software that will automatically adjust the water to the exact temperature and pressure that you like. And, the integrated touchscreen displays weather information, your personal calendar, and you can even somehow use it to check email.

I know it’s cool, but I mean, seriously, email? On a touchscreen on a water faucet? Overkill. What isn’t overkill is iHouse’s cell phone controlled bathtub, which will prepare the perfect bath for you with a single phone call. Brilliant.

All of this stuff is, of course, expensive enough that I can’t tell you how expensive it is.

As I grow older it's becoming more and more likely that fully-integrated, computerized households may not be widely available within my lifetime, or at least within the time that I'll still be young and tech-savvy enough to make very good use of them. It would be quite the irony if all these cool, futuristic technologies I've been watching and reading about my entire life only come to pass when I'm a drooling old fossil with very little capacity or will to learn anything new. I'll be yelling at the smart-alecky toaster and boring kids with stories about the analog faucets we used when I was boy. Wow, that's bleak. I'm gonna have a Bloody Mary.

(via)

1 comment:

Intrepid Californio said...

Dude your first hand knowledge of analog house hold fixtures and appliances will be coveted by young hungry minds.