"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Are You Neurotic?

I always knew that I was but it wasn't until I read this blog last night that I felt somehow normal, and at the same time, slightly more disturbed about my condition. In fact, I felt three distinct reactions to the neuroses listed: 1) I read about things that I too feel a compulsion to do, making me feel even more neurotic, 2) I read about things that I too feel a compulsion to do, making me feel slightly more normal because others shared my symptoms, and 3) I read about things that others feel a compulsion to do yet that I don't feel any compulsion towards whatsoever, making me feel at first superior because I'm not subject to that particular neurosis and find it kind of funny that they are; then making me feel like a total shit because I felt some kind of superiority over someone else because of my particular lack thereof when I'm feeling the exact same thing, only over something different.

Now you might think that I'm a germ-a-phobe or something crazy like that; in point of fact, I'm most definitely not. Actually, I'm kind of bothered by how little germs unsettle me (speaking as someone who has plans to visit many third-world countries at some point in the future); I know I should fear infection but that's just not one of my mental maladies. I didn't choose to live this way but if you have the choice, I highly recommend against it. You don't want to spend the rest of your life adding up strings of numbers and making sure that everything you own is lined up at right angles; it isn't even remotely cool to do and it certainly doesn't attract fine-ass women. Fair warning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this post because it's not like your other posts. Also because the website you referenced is similar, but more fascinating than the one I've been following off and on for a few years.