"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Something Someone Else Said

"We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America the way a four-year-old loves her mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a four-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad, and helping your loved one grow." -Al Franken, in Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them on how conservatives and liberals love America differently

Every time I hear a conservative talking shit about a liberal who has committed the unconscionable act of actually truthfully pointing out some of this country's short-comings and ways we could improve them, I'm reminded of this quote and just shake my head. Franken is still locked in an extremely close recount race with Republican incumbent Norm Coleman for a senate seat in the state of Minnesota; it's way to close to call at this time and it looks like the lawyers are going to have the final say sometime after the beginning of the new year but I still have hope that Franken will prevail and inject some much needed levity and common sense into that political body.

2 comments:

Van Zan said...

Franken uses an interesting analogy.
I'd add that, on the other hand, many - far from all, but many - conservatives also view liberals as children. Or emotionally and morally underdeveloped subadults.

How many times have we heard a variation of "oh liberals are like children stomping their foot when they don't get their way..."
Like when a neocon does it, it's somehow perfectly reasonable moral outrage.

"they always want someone else to bail them out and never take responsibility... " ?
Oh god forbid Bush be responsible for the deaths of thousands and a shit economy.

And this all usually comes right after "and liberals just love taxes. Whatever you've earned (or inherited)... they just want to take it away and give it someone as undeserving as they can possibly find"

yep... dunno about you JBW, but I sure as heck don't want MY money...
I just want to give it all to some lazy shmuck, for him to spend on drugs. Then I'm going to rationalize killing babies - but defend convicted murderers because I like them much better. Then I'm going to back-stab our troops, because I really want my country defeated and I'll profit from it (I'll be fucked if know how I'll profit from it, but never mind...).

...you get the picture.

Actually... I don't get any welfare, amazingly I don't actually enjoy being taxed, I'm in favor of intelligent military intervention (which taxes pay for), and I love babies.

JBW said...

I hear you, VZ; the old, tired, regurgitated talking points are one of several reasons I took another hiatus from Don's site. I just can't put up with the whole "your side loves taxes and hates babies" bullshit for any extended period of time.