"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Friday, January 9, 2009

Death Star Over San Francisco

Many of you may not remember when the city across the bay from myself was briefly occupied by Imperial forces earlier last year (I was probably too busy blogging about Barack Obama's presidential campaign to mention it) but I was able to dig up some footage that people shot of the invasion force from several different spots around the city:


They're long gone now, of course: apparently a bunch of aging hippies started staging protest marches and despite the filtration systems in their helmets the Imperial Stormtroopers just couldn't handle the smell. Also, I hear that all the homeless guys asking them for spare galactic credits started to get really annoying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking on behalf the right Bill O'Reilly:

Hey, you know, if you want to ban military recruiting, fine, but I'm not going to give you another nickel of federal money. You know, if I'm the president of the United States, I walk right into Union Square, I set up my little presidential podium, and I say, "Listen, citizens of San Francisco, if you vote against military recruiting, you're not going to get another nickel in federal funds. Fine. You want to be your own country? Go right ahead."

And if the Death Star comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.

JBW said...

That's awesome. If it wasn't for San Francisco, France and the New York Times the Giant Talking Head wouldn't have an act.

Van Zan said...

Actually I just watched this without it inspiring the slightest political thought at all...
I think it's awesome viz.

Maybe I just wanted to take the bad taste of people saying "I just don't give a damn about the Palestinians - screw them all" out of my mouth. (Guess where I read that...? my fact-based challenges to an earlier post that damned Obama to hell for what others think he MIGHT do, on same site, simply ignored. Bogus. )

Anyway, back to the clip... That's great. In particular I like the star destroyer hovering over the bridge.

A rogue geek synapse in my brain is asking "hey... given relative dimensions and object density... would the death star cause tidal chaos on Earth?"
Takes me back to picking apart the movie Independence Day:
The mothership is described as being a quarter of the mass of our moon and is then shown close enough to Earth local orbit to collide with a satellite. If it was that big, and unless it was made of fairy floss, I think the gravitational effects alone would have done the invaders work for them.

Now excuse me, I'm late for lightsaber practice.

JBW said...

I too first watched this without a thought to politics: the "occupation" shtick was just that.

VZ, I've stopped worrying about all of the physics inaccuracies in the sci-fi flicks I watch. Just too frustrating.